1. Currently pregnant, and currently dealing with my mother who became an anti vaxxer 13 years ago. I had no idea, just found out recently when I mentioned I got my tdap and flu shot and I asked if everyone in the family was caught up because the baby is due next month and flu season is right around the corner. She called me a [fudging] idiot for putting “rotting DNA” in my body while pregnant. She refuses to get a flu shot, so I refuse to let her see her first grandchild. Not taking chances with my kids life because you cant be bothered to do legitimate research or listen to me when I try and explain it to her.
2. My adorable father in law told me I HAD to deliver vaginally. If I had a C section, I wouldn’t love my baby as much because I didn’t suffer for him. First of all, the kid was comfortably sitting and was NOT turning around, you utter [bung]hole. I was not about to risk my kid’s life in a feet first delivery, no sir. Second, a C section is a major surgery and a pain in the ass, believe me, I did suffer. You try being cut open like that while awake and then deal with a feisty colicky new born while recovering from it. Third, really? I need to feel pain in order to love my child? I can’t even. Fourth, you don’t even have a uterus, old man. Zip it.
3. When I found out I was pregnant a 4th time (3 losses in row) I heard so many from strangers mine isn’t necessarily advice but more open mouth insert foot “Are you SURE this one is going to work?”
I was also told if I was on my cell phone or around my modem/router it would cause brain damage to my unborn child.
She’s 4, perfectly healthy, no brain damage and let’s just say it took a lot of medical attention to get her to full term.
What caused my miscarriages they said my hormones couldn’t sustain a pregnancy and after the 3rd I was told that with my hormone levels getting pregnant again wouldn’t happen. She was a surprise and the best one ever. It took an educated doctor that wanted the best outcome. Previous doctors just looked at my history and was like sorry for your loss maybe next time will go better..
The best day of my husband and mines life was finding out that she was alive, thriving and having an amazing doctor who moved heaven and earth to make sure she’d make it. He was at work when I found out he actually yelled and his entire office heard him he almost ran around the office he was more excited than me!
6. I had a co-worker tell me that eating peanut butter (I was eating an apple with peanut butter on my lunch break) would give my baby cancer. I already thought she was the world’s greatest idiot so that nugget of wisdom was just confirmation.
9. Someone told my SO not to bathe because the baby would drown.
Edit: the reasoning for this advice was that the umbilical cord acted as a sort of snorkel from the baby to the mothers navel. If the navel was submerged the baby wouldn’t be able to get air.
10. According to my mother, everything can cause miscarriage.
Too much meat?
Not enough meat?
Paddling the school canoe
Oh, you better believe that’s a miscarriage.
Had two miscarriages before finally having my daughter. Just bad luck chromosomal abnormalities… but she made sure to remind me not to do all of those things again next time, you know… just in case.
Thanks for the subtle blame, Mom.