Here are some of the spookiest-looking deserted castles around Scotland.
Dunalastair House was designed by Andrew Heiton as a baronial mansion in the mid-19th century in the southern part of the Scottish Highlands. The castle served as a mansion for four consecutive families until the First World War after which there was a great lack of staff to run the castle. The castle got further damage during the Second World War when it first served as a Polish boys’ and then girls’ school. In the 1960s, lead was also stolen from the roof, and it kept deteriorating fastly. Due to the high cost of restoration, the house gradually turned into a ruin.
Located in Stirlingshire, the Buchanan Castle was built by the fourth Duke of Montrose as a replacement for Buchanan Auld House in 1852-1858. Later, the Dukes sold the castle in 1925, and it reopened as a hotel in the 1930s. However, the outbreak of the Second World War postponed further projects on the estate. After the requisition of the castle during the war, it served as a hospital for the injured. After the war, the building also served as the Army School of Education for a short period of time. Then, its owners removed the roof from the house in 1954 to avoid paying taxes. The remaining structure has deteriorated since then.