“The Tower of Babel” by Pieter Bruegel the Elder is one of the most magnificent paintings. This masterpiece was painted in 1563.
Here you can discover some details that aren’t easy to notice at first gaze.
’’The Tower of Babel’’
The distant view
1. A castle, a river a windmill, meadows, and mountains.
2. Travelers are heading towards the tower.
3. Vegetable gardens are visible behind the wall.
4. A cart is going over a bridge while women are doing laundry in the river next to a little windmill.
5. There is a well next to the river, and people are planting something in the vegetable garden.
The middle distance
6. Blacksmith’s shops are standing near the tower.
7. Some people are resting or sleeping, while others are, well, doing their business.
8. Workers on the lower level are daubing plaster on a wall.
9. Lorries with building materials are going uphill.
10. Carts are soon to be loaded.