The Little Chapel in Guernsey Island was a work of Brother Déodat who aimed to build a miniature version of the grotto and the basilica at Lourdes in France. He started the work in 1914; however, he ended up demolishing his first building because it got criticisms for being too small (9 feet long and 4.5 feet wide). The same year, he built the chapel for the second time, but it could survive until 1923. It was because the Bishop of Portsmouth could not fit through the door, so Brother Déodat demolished the chapel for the second time to rebuilt again. Finally, the third chapel has been able to survive until today.
The Little Chapel, as it is also understood from its name, is a very small building. It measures 16 feet by 9 feet, and there is room for only around eight people. All aside, its most spectacular feature is its decoration with pebbles, seashells, and broken china. This type of mosaic is called Picassiette which literally means “plate pincher” (the kind of person crashing into a party just to have a free meal) in French.