House of Fire ruins are the remains of the granaries built by the Ancestral Puebloan people who inhabited the Mule Canyon, Utah, between 700 and 2,500 years ago. They used the granaries to store corn, ricegrass, and other crops. The site took its name from the appearance of the rock surface. The patterns of the rock especially look like flames between 10 am and 11 am, reflecting the sunlight at a specific angle.
Taking its name from the fiery patterns of its rock surroundings, the House of Fire ruins have managed to remain intact for 700 years.
Dating from nearly between 700 and 1000 years ago, the ruins have not undergone any restoration, nor have they been rebuilt. Archaeological evidence shows that the ancient Anasazi people abandoned the area due to a drought that lasted between 1276 and 1299 AD. Today, it is unsafe to get into the granaries which are now home to rodents.