Horizontal (Laying) skyscraper (1972)
This building on Varshavskoye Highway in Moscow is almost 736m long and houses the Research Center of Computer Technology (NITSEVT).
The Circus, Bath, England
The Circus is a historic ring of large townhouses in the city of Bath, Somerset, England, forming a circle with three entrances. Designed by architect John Wood, the Elder, it was built between 1754 and 1769, and is regarded as a pre-eminent example of Georgian architecture.
When viewed from the air, the Circus, along with Queens Square and the adjoining Gay Street, form a key shape, which is a masonic symbol similar to those that adorn many of Wood’s buildings.
The central area was originally paved with stone setts, covering a reservoir in the center that supplied water to the houses. In 1800 the Circus residents enclosed the central part of the open space as a garden. Now, the central area is grassed over and is home to a group of large plane trees.
There is a long house-wave on Akademika Sakharov Avenue.
Corviale: One-Kilometer-Long Residential Complex
Star House, Biryulyovo Zapadnoye, Moscow
Falowiec, Gdańsk, Poland
Falowiec (Wave) is a block of flats characterized by its length and wavy shape. This type of building was built in Poland in the late 1960s and 1970s in the Polish city of Gdańsk, where there are eight buildings of this type.
The best-known falowiec in Gdańsk, located at the Obrońców Wybrzeża street, has:
11 stories (10 plus the ground floor)
nearly 6,000 occupants
4 segments (4 staircases in each segment of 110 apartments).
a length of around 850 m (2788 ft)
“The House of Atomists” residential building in Moscow, Russia
The Colossus of Prora, Rügen, Germany
The Colossus of Prora, commonly known as simply “Prora”, is a building complex in the municipality of Binz on the island of Rügen, Germany. It was built by Nazi Germany between 1936 and 1939 as part of the Strength Through Joy (Kraft durch Freude or KdF) project. It consisted of eight identical buildings and was 4.5 km (2.8 mi) in length parallel to the beach, with the surviving structures stretching 3.0 km (1.9 mi).
Although the buildings were planned as a holiday resort, construction was not completed and they were not used for this purpose. After World War II, the complex found various military uses, first by the Soviet Army, then by the East German Volksarmee, and then by the German Bundeswehr. Today it houses a large youth hostel, a hotel and vacation apartments.