A new exhibition at New York’s Museum of Modern Art focuses on the period of intense construction in the former Yugoslavia between its break with the Soviet bloc in 1948 and the death of the country’s longtime leader Josip Broz Tito in 1980
Situated between the capitalist West and the socialist East, Yugoslavia’s postwar architects responded to contradictory demands and influences by developing an architecture both in line with and distinct from the design approaches seen elsewhere in Europe and beyond.
Photographs by Valentin Jeck, commissioned by Moma, 2016.
Monument to the Battle of the Sutjeska
Miodrag Živković, 1965–71, Tjentište, Bosnia, and Herzegovina.
Revolution Square (today Republic Square)
Edvard Ravnikar, 1960–74, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Avala TV Tower
Uglješa Bogunović, Slobodan Janjić, and Milan Krstić, 1960–65 (destroyed in 1999 and rebuilt in 2010), Mount Avala, near Belgrade, Serbia.
Monument to the Uprising of the People of Kordun and Banija
Berislav Šerbetić and Vojin Bakić,1979–81, Petrova Gora, Croatia.
Monument to the Fighters Fallen in the People’s Liberation Struggle
Živa Baraga and Janez Lenassi, 1965, Ilirska Bistrica, Slovenia
National and University Library of Kosovo
Andrija Mutnjaković, 1971–82, Pristina, Kosovo.
Braće Borozan building block in Split 3
Dinko Kovačić and Mihajlo Zorić, 1970–79. Split, Croatia.
Janko Konstantinov, 1968–81, Skopje, Macedonia.
S2 Office Tower
Milan Mihelič, 1972–78, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Šerefudin White Mosque
Zlatko Ugljen, 1969–79, Visoko, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Monument to the Ilinden Uprising
Jordan and Iskra Grabul, 1970–73, Kruševo, Macedonia.