Santa Maria del Fiore, designed by Arnolfo di Cambio, is the third-largest church in the world (after St. Peter’s in Rome and St. Paul’s in London) and was the largest church in Europe when it was completed in the 15th century. It is 153 metres long, 90 metres wide at the crossing, and 90 metres high from the floor to the bottom of the lantern. The third and last cathedral of Florence, it was dedicated to Santa Maria del Fiore, the Virgin of the Flower, in 1412, a clear allusion to the lily, the symbol of the city of Florence.
Brunelleschi used more than 4 million bricks in the construction of the dome
The Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore took over 140 years to complete
Florence Cathedral, interior